Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pinellas County Laundromats

I take issue with the laundromats in St.Petersburg. I had to go to several laundromats to find one that has decent parking,a fairly good area,and clean. I finally found one on 58Th Street. Located in a plaza next door to a fantastic Cuban bakery and several stores. I go in with my coins and clothes ready. When I looked at the washers,I found that they use a type of plastic card similar to a credit card. I went to the attendant to get a card,then I had to put it in an ATM looking machine,and insert currency to how much I'd like. The woman attendant grabs the card out of hand and says "I'll show y'all how its done". I know how to read and the card machine was easy for anyone to understand how to use it. I just have to tell you,that attendant was bossy and arrogant. I thought perhaps she was the owner. I did my laundry and was out of there in no time. I went back the next week. The laundromat had several customers when I arrived. There are plenty of machines as the place is bigger than the others I went to before. I go in,put my bag of clothes in the rolling cart and get my card ready. The same grabby attendant yells at me from the other end of the laundromat "CAN I HELP YOU?". I mean she yelled as if I was not supposed to be a patron of the establishment. All the customers looked at me odd. I felt so embarrassed. I did my laundry as usual and left. Another week goes by and I return to the same place,it just happens to be the cleanest laundromat,and the washers do a terrific job,that is why I kept going back there. Not many patrons in there this time around. But there's madame grabby again at the other end. She didn't say anything until the clothes in the dryer I was using stopped. Now,I'm very punctual in the timing of my clothes when I use the washers and dryers. I time them out of courtesy,even though there are many machines not being used. I've noticed on many occassions that patrons leave their clothing to dry to go shopping and arrive almost an hour after the dryer is done. I was sitting at one of the tables reading the newspaper and the attendant yells out to me "YOUR DRYER STOPPED". It was less than a minute that it stopped! I had a suspicion that this woman just didn't like me there for what reason I just do not know. Then another time I went there,she's half talking to herself and to me saying that she has a rolling cart missing. I was ready to tell her it was in my back pocket. But I didn't. I hate confrontations. On several ocassions the owner of the laundromat stopped in. A very nice gentleman by the name of Scott,he introduced himself to me and was cordial. Scott is friendly and cares about the customers that go to his laundromat. I could never bring myself to tell him about his rude attendant,although I would have liked to. The economy is bad,jobs are scarce,almost non existant. In this here Florida,a person can get fired in an instant for the lamest things. As much as I was insulted by the attendant, I didn't want to get her get fired. She is a middle aged woman,and its possible self supporting. I went back a few more times. Then I found a laundromat much closer to home,less expensive,not as fancy as the one on 58TH street. The attendant at the laundromat on 49th street I now go to is helpful and courtious. If anyone out there can recommend any good clean laundromats,please leave me a comment. Much abliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment