Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thoughts From The Black Sheep of the Family

The weather is not fit for man nor beast! It’s 98 degrees outside with a humidity of 80%. Yet there is Linda mowing her lawn without the benefit of any shade, with a non-self propelled lawnmower. At 66 years old , Linda has more strength, endurance, and determination than many men half her age. It’s not only physical strength, but also strength of mind.

From the time Linda was a young girl, she has worked hard all her life. She fell in love at the tender age of 15 years old, and married Andy.

Linda lived a hard married life. She continued working manual labor this entire time. With her husband, they struggled to make a good living for themselves and their 3 children. Their struggles eventually paid off when they finally owned their own restaurant in Terryville, Connecticut.

The tedious work was 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. During this time, Linda’s upward drive had her sights set on acquiring her GED without attending classes.


After 28 years passed, it was time to slow down somewhat. Linda and Andy left the cold winters of the North and settled down in the sunny and warm State of Florida. The sweet smell of success they had earned for themselves in Florida a magnificent large house with a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Mexico and a dock for their boat.

Unfortunately, Linda’s husband Andy passed away a short time later, leaving her alone to face the realities of widowhood.

At the age of 49, she continued to work to help her sons in the restaurant. Finally as things settled down for her, she returned to her home in Florida, following her 50TH birthday.

One day soon after settling into the warmer climate, she looked around her house in deep thought. She realized it was time to get on with her life. Linda began involving herself in worthwhile projects, classes, and lectures that would enrich her life. She learned how to do basic electrical and plumbing work so she could maintain her house.
She painted, cooked, cleaned, and took on quite a few home repairs that most women would not even attempt.

Linda is a classy noble lady. She tends to set high standards for herself. She’s honest and not afraid to speak her mind when necessary. Linda foregoes any attempt on the dating scene, which most Florida widows constantly spend on that useless game of cat and mouse Besides, Linda has a high degree of dignity, morals, and intellect that most men could never fully appreciate.

It is not my nature to ask Linda for anything, but she somehow senses I need help every now and then, until I can land that illusive job. I’ve enjoyed going on trips with her to visit my niece and family. Linda and I often have lunch or dinner together. Graciously, I accepted when she gave me some home furnishings and other items to start out with in my apartment.

I appreciate Linda so much when she
a) Encourages me to stand on my own.
b) Take the initiative to improve my quality of life again and
c) Not sit back in the shadow of doubt, and silence any longer

I wish I had just one ounce of her fortitude.

Linda is not one for soft feminine words and accolades of praise that she deserves so much. I can just picture her squirming as she reads this short essay. I can never thank her enough for all she has done for me. I thank God every day for giving me the best sister anybody could ever want.

Yes it’s still 98 degrees outside with humidity of 80 percent. Yet, there is Linda still making things beautiful by tending to her garden, and cleaning her pool without the benefit of shade.

God Bless my sister Linda and keep her safely in Your Arms.


Thank You Mr.Brennen for your help in editing my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment